Hastings and St Leonards Town Plan 1898Map Description Plate 59 from the Royal Atlas of England and Wales 1898
Hastings and St Leonards Town Plan 1898
Click an area of the map to see an enlarged image.
Note: Segment images are part of the whole map and cannot be purchased separately.
This plan of Hastings is from “The Royal Atlas of England and Wales” produced by J.G. Bartholomew for George Newnes Ltd in 1898. The descriptive text that follows is compiled from the “Gazetteer of the British Isles" published by J.G. Bartholomew in 1904.
Hastings – parliamentary and county borough, summer resort, market town, and one of the Cinque Ports. Location: E. Sussex, 34 miles E. of Brighton and 62½ miles SE. of London. Population of county borough 65,528. Market Day, Saturday. A place of great importance in ancient times; the site of the original town is supposed to be covered by the sea. William the Conqueror fought the famous battle of Hastings on October 14, 1066, at Battle, 6 miles NW. Most of the town lies in a well-sheltered hollow sloping towards the sea. St Leonard’s is joined to it by a row of terraces and parades. The reputation of Hastings as a watering-place was first established about the beginning of the present century, and its trade is mostly connected with the supplies required by visitors; there are also coast fisheries. There is a public park, and on the E. and W. Hills open-air spaces, the former of which has a golf course and the remains of an ancient castle. There are two fixed lights, both visible 4 miles; there are also fixed lights on each of the pier heads visible 3 miles. The harbour lies at the east end of the town.