Oxford 1898Map Description Plan of Oxford from the Royal Atlas 1898
Click an area of the map to see an enlarged image.
Note: Segment images are part of the whole map and cannot be purchased separately.
This plan of Oxford is from “The Royal Atlas of England and Wales” produced by J.G.Bartholomew for George Newnes Ltd in 1898. The descriptive text that follows is compiled from the “Gazetteer of the British Isles" published by J.G. Bartholomew in 1904.
Oxford – City, market town and county town of Oxfordshire with railway stations, Great Western Railway, and London and North-Western Railway. Location: 27 miles NW. of Reading and 63 from London by rail. Population, 49,336. Market days, Wednesday and Saturday. As a great seat of learning Oxford has for centuries upheld a high celebrity throughout the world. It has a history of great interest and importance. Already in the 9th century (under the names of Oxnaford, Oxenford, and Ousford) it appears as one of the leading towns of England. It is not a trading town, and has no manufactures of special importance. Business is generally supported by supplying the wants of Oxford University, which now comprises 21 colleges and one independent hall (St. Edmonds). The oldest college is University College, which claims to have been founded by Alfred but really dates from 1249. Connected to the university are many institutions, including: the Bodleian Library (founded about 1601) with over 600,000 vols., the Ashmolean Museum, the University Observatory, the Sheldonian Theatre built by Sir Christopher Wren (1664-1669), in which the annual commemoration ceremonies are held. Oxford, besides its University, is celebrated for its splendid buildings. Christ Church Cathedral is a Norman and Early English edifice. The handsome Municipal Buildings (1893-1897) contain the Public Library.