Early Plan of Brisbane 1890Map Description Old Plan of Brisbane 1890 from "The Royal Atlas & Gazetteer of Australasia"
Early Plan of Brisbane 1890
Click an area of the map to see an enlarged image.
Note: Segment images are part of the whole map and cannot be purchased separately.
The plan of the City of Brisbane is from “The Royal Atlas & Gazetteer of Australasia” produced by J.G.Bartholomew for T.Nelson and Sons in 1890. The descriptive text that follows is compiled from the atlas gazetteer for 1890.City and capital of Queensland, and of Australia. Located on the E. coast of the colony, on the Brisbane River, 25 miles from it’s mouth in Moreton Bay and 500 miles N. of Sydney (NSW). The town is surrounded by low hills, clothed with a rich vegetation. The Victoria iron bridge 1080 ft. long, connects N. and S. Brisbane. Pop. (1886) 32,567; of census district, 51,689. The city is lighted with gas, well drained, and has a good supply of water. It is the seat of the Government, and contains, in addition to numerous schools and places of worship, many fine public buildings. Among these are the Houses of Legislature, Town Hall, G.P.O., Government Printing Office, Vice-regal Lodge, Masonic Hall, Temperance Hall, School of Arts, Museum, Supreme Courts, Academy of Music, numerous banks, and other buildings. Brisbane possesses excellent Botanic Gardens, and among the other open spaces are the Albert, Victoria, Queen’s, Bowen, and Mount Cootha parks. The river, which formerly was shallow, and had its navigation obstructed by a bar, has now been considerably deepened and improved, so that vessels with a large draught of water can ascend as far as the city, where there is excellent wharf accommodation. The city contains many large commercial houses and has an extensive trade.